Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Garba till you can't Garba no more

"David-brother! You play Garba with me! You know Garba? You dance with me! Garba, Garba, hahaha!"

We're currently in the midst of Navaratri, a very popular festival that literally translates to "nine nights". There is some confusing religious significance to it, but it seems like what most people like about it is the Garba dancing. People have been talking about it for weeks. Two weeks ago after dinner, five or six guys were practicing, sans music, out behind the furniture workshop. They stepped in unison and clapped their hands, and eventually the night watchman, a skinny sixty-something man with a mustache and a scrunched up face, joined and started moving around too.

Three nights ago was the first night of Navaratri, and all the students here were excited. After dinner a stereo system was set up, and everyone began to gather around. Then the music started, and for one and a half hours, it was Garba and only Garba.

The dance is pretty simple, and only four steps. I eventually got it, but I'm sure I looked like a goofball compared to everyone who's been doing it since they were four years old. Everyone made a huge circle--probably more than a hundred people all in one circle--and did the dance in unison with the drum beat. The music sounded like all the other Indian music I've been hearing, but I'm sure my untrained ear was missing something.

Everyone got a kick out of me dancing, and the Videography and Photography students took enough pictures and movies of me to fill a hard drive.

It's pretty fun, but doing the same dance for an hour and a half gets a bit tedious. They're at it again tonight, but I'm taking some time off from Garba for now. Nine days of Garba is more Garba than I can handle.

No comments: